Sunday, March 19, 2006

Experience in Division N Speech Contest

I can still remember when I ended 1st runner up in both the Area N1 International Speech Contest 2003/2004 and Humorous Speech Contest 2003/2004, I told myself that my dream is to reach the Division Speech Contest Stage one day... And this ONE DAY has come true and it's no longer ONE DAY but it's TODAY!!!

The feeling is so great. I just reached home and bathed and I can't wait any longer to write down my thoughts. I want to share my happiness with everyone. I'm really happy and thrilled. I managed to realize my dream of standing on the Division stage as a contestant today. I manage to realize my dream (and I did it at the expense of my cousin sister Yen, in the sense that I'm using her as my main character in my story.).

I feel that I really learn a lot throughout this contest from the club level to the area level and then to the division level. I realized things that I never knew. I got to experienced how a contest is like and learn a lot of skills to deliver a winning speech. For once, I know this is a serious matter and I really have to put in effort in order to perform it well. I learn to look into the tiny details as every seconds, every words, every pauses and every actions do counts.

It's so different from seeing other people speak on the stage then I myself experienced it. Now I can understand how it actually feels. I'm so happy that I tried my best. The feeling of satisfaction is just great. For those who heard my speech this morning, you will understand what I say now. I'll like to share with you my feeling and things that I saw when I'm on the stage.

When I accidentally knocked down the water, the whole audience was like so worry about me and thinking that I'll mess my whole speech by spilling the water. Once I knocked down the water, I immediately took a glance of the audience expression, they looked so worry and surprised adn some even makes some exclaiming noise. Only KK Chee and my family who were smiling as they were the ones who knew the trick. I hold my laughter and continued with my speech.

Then the next part when I talked about my personal story, the audience were all so quiet and attentive. They were all looking at me feeling so sorry and sad and some of them even start wiping their tears. In my conclusion, some of them nodded their heads. The feeling is so great to look at the audience expression when they listened to my speech.

After your speech, people start talking about my speech and discussing it as a topic during their break time. It's great to know my speech has impacted them and they remembered what was my message. I kept telling myself since the first day I delivered this speech during the club level, I want to deliver my message clearly to everyone. I want to share what I learnt from this painful incident. " Appreciate our Family and Friends and Don't only give them the Leftover time that we have! " So, it's great to know that my message was delivered to them and they have learnt something from listening to my speech.

The feeling was so great when I know I can actually grabs the audience attention and move their hearts. Just feel so good...I don't know how to express this but you really have to be there on the stage only you will know how it feels.

I'm so glad and thankful that I'm given this opportunity to go through this wonderful journey and learning experience that add colours and spices into my life. Just like what KK Chee once said: "We can only know Who We Are until we see What We Can Do". It's so true. Now I know that I can stand in front of such a big crowd to deliver a speech, I can win people's heart by telling stories and I am the Division N 1st runner up!!! Wow!!! I never dreamt of all this. I just want to be on that stage as a contestant. That's my dream and achieved more than that!!!

So I strongly encourage everyone to grab the opportunity to participate in all speech contest whenever you can. You'll be surprised how much you can learn from the whole journey and process. Not only about delivering a speech but also to learn more about yourself and how far can you go.

I'll like to say thank you to some people who really supported me and encouraged me to reach this far.

Thanks God! I kept praying that I can deliver my speech smoothly and He answered my prayer and instead He gave me far more than what I asked...

Thanks my cousin sister Yen. I only started to realized my wrong priorities after losing you. Thanks for making me realize my mistakes and I have the chance to share this to others.

Thanks KK Chee for being my mentor and guided me. I really learnt a lot from you and your experience. I really appreciate what you did as I know you don't have to but still you are so willing to spend your precious time to go through my speech with me and shares the tips of a winning speech with me.

Thanks my mummy for showing me her great support and encouragement not only by showing up in the contest even though my brother is admitted in the hospital but also to listen to me every time I practised my speech.

Thanks my brother Andrew and my sister Ann for listening to my practise, helped to time me and support me by coming to the contest.

Thanks to my dear Steven for your support and encouragement. Thanks for always be there when I needed you most ( although not physically but in my heart... ). It's our 5th Anniversary together tomorrow on the 20th March. I hope this achievement of mine will be your best anniversary gift.
Thanks to all my Butterworth Toastmasters Club members who helped in one way or another and all your support (physically and mentally) especially KK Chee, Esther, Chen, Siew Foong, SC Tee nd Ashley who were there this morning.

Thanks to all Division Council members and Toastmasters friends for your support and encouragement.

Thanks Shin Yi for your presence in the contest even though you had a broken arm and also your sms last night to remind me to sleep earlier so that I can have sweet sweet voice this morning.

Thanks to my classmates Mun Keat, Aftab and Ki Wei for your support by showing up in the contest this morning. I really appreciate that.

Thank you!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah, your Experience in Division N Speech Contest sound like you have win an Oscar, so many people to thanks...hehe...
Aynway, i am proud of your achievement. It is your dreams and you have achieve it. You have taken a step out to a bigger picture of your world. I believe you will soar higher in the future.
I really hope i can listen to your speech live at the contest. If you don't mind, can you send me the VCD of the contest??
Although i really wish to be there to support you but i can't but I will always support you mentally. I think next time you can work harder in the division contest already to go further, ok.
One more things i want to add, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you...

Anonymous said...

Amy, you did really well.. But horrr... I wasn't surprised at all when u spilled da water, cos I knew it was ur trick, even before u head up the stage! That's the only reason for bringing up a water bottle and cup with u up there, right? Haha...

I like your speech a lot, really! Ki Wei was touched, and asked me immediately whether it's true or not.. Haha... U did a great job... Hopefully I could attend the district contest.. My RM15 really worth the things i learnt there!

my blog is http://ichibantensai@blogstpot.com..

please leave me a comment, thanks...

alok said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alok said...

hey amy congrats on ur performance and im sorry i cudnt make it on that day.
cheers
alok

Anonymous said...

Hi there, hope that it won't be too late for me to drop by a comment.
You've done a good job, Congratulations! This is my first time seeing you deliver a speech and it is really a touching one, i've tried hard to control my tears from running out.
Really wanna thank you for inviting me to the contest, i did enjoy myself (esp the table topic part)and at the same time learnt a lot of new staff. If possible (and affordable, hehe) i would also like to attend the district contest.
Amy, all the best to you in the coming district contest. Gambate!!!