Thursday, April 14, 2011

FESS

Well... I have been having this flu ever since end of Jan.
After weeks of consultation with the doctor, he suggested to do a minor surgery to make a small hole in my ear and suck out the fluid.
After weeks of consideration and delaying it, I have decided to go for the surgery.
Making the decision based on what the doctor says, it's just a minor surgery in the ear and at the same time clean up a bit the mucus in my nose.
That's it... That's all the doctor says!

On Tuesday 5th April, I admitted in the hospital to do this surgery.
Doctor came and see me when I was still alone there in the hospital.
He told me that this surgery is about 2-3 hours long and it has risk to the BRAIN and the EYES as it's very near.
I was like : HUH????? WHAT ?????
I thought it was a very minor thing and now he tells me the risk of injuring the brain and the eyes???
I was stunned and the question came out from my mouth was : Is this operation dangerous?
And he says : Every operation is dangerous!
Well, it makes sense... BUT still! Am I ready for this???
I thought it was a minor one~
Anyway, at that point of time, not having much time to think, I signed the paper!

4pm, they pushed me into the operation theater.
Weng Soon was there with me. I wouldn't say I was not afraid at all, but what needs to be done, needs to be done!
I was totally unconscious when they did the operation.
Once I came out from the operation theater, still resting in the resting area, I started to have my conscious, I saw doctor there and I asked : Is everything ok?
The doctor says : I am not sure but I thought I accidentally hit the upper sinus wall and saw some brain fluid flowing down. But don't worry, I stopped immediately and did all the necessary precaution procedures to pack up the place and put a balloon in to give pressure.
I was like : HUH????? WHAT ????
Anyway, i was still too weak to give any response to it.
They pushed me out, I saw doctor talking to Weng Soon. I know he must be telling him the bad news.
I don't want Weng Soon to be worry, I gave him a peace sign and smiling face.

They pushed me back to the ward around 8pm already.
I know Weng Soon is very worry as the operation took longer than expected.
I know Weng Soon sounded the doctor for not explaining to us in details before the operation, not letting us know what is exactly happening during the operation. All we knew was the hole in the ear and we know nothing about FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery).
If we knew we are doing FESS, at least we can read up a bit from the net and ask more question, the thing is we do not even know that I am going to do this FESS operation!
But my throat was really really sore due to the pipe they put in during the operation for me to breathe.
The worst thing, I cannot drink water yet!

Some friends and family were there. I can't really do anything as I'm still weak and not fully conscious yet.
When they went back, Weng Soon started crying. Even though I'm not fully awake, but I can remember that very clearly.
My heart just feel so pain, I know he loves me a lot and do not want anything bad to happen.
I asked him to stay there with me and he wanted to do so to, but the nurses came around 11pm to ask him to go back as no guy can stay in the ward for the night.
No choice, I'm left alone in the hospital that night.
The doctor came in and see me around 11.30pm.
I was surprised that he's still around.
He told me about the complication and he will observe me for the next few days.
This is what he says : If really the brain fluid is leaking, I would have to send you to UM and refer you to my good old friend there for neuro.
I was like : HUH????? WHAT?????
I just gain my conscious back and now you come in and tell me this kind of news????
Frightened me!!!!

Wednesday & Thursday was torturous!
I cannot sleep lying down flat. I can only sleep in sitting position!
I cannot breathe through my nose as it's blocked with blood clot.
My right eye keep tearing non-stop.
My headache is killing me.
The doctor asked to put a sign "rest in bed" on my bedhead.
The nurses turned the colour to red representing "high risk of falling".
Well.. few things that are comforting is to know that God has not forgotten me. He has been good. No further complication after days of observation, no fever.
And Weng Soon is there for me all the time.
I felt bad that he has to take so many days off from work and cannot do anything in the hospital besides looking at his wife complaining about the pain and yet he has to feel so helpless that he can't do more to help.

Friday, at last, doctor decided to take out the cotton pack and the balloon in the right nose.
I was shocked to see how big that thing was that he stucked in my nose.
No wonder the headache and the tearing...
After he took out the cotton and balloon in my nose, the headache gone and the tearing stops!
Felt much better without the headache.
I know I have to be strong for Weng Soon. I know his heart ache when I complain about the pain.
So I have to be strong and just deal with it!

Sunday, discharged!
Doctor allowed me to go home but have to continue stay home for another 10 days to rest and observe the situation.
I still cannot move too much.
I feel dizzy after moving too much.
10 days of additional MC... that was way too much than what I expected!

Is it better to be bed bound in the hospital or being at home and yet cannot do much?
Haih... prison in the hospital or prison at home?
I guess it's still better to be home!
At least Weng Soon doesn't need to run here run there but he's worried that I move too much.
Knowing me, I just feel restless not doing anything.

Wednesday 13th April, I went back to the hospital for follow up checks.
As per what the doctor told me on Sunday before I discharged, he says he'll suck out the blood clot in my nose so that I can breathe using my nose.
Doctor says : Normal cases, I can clean up everything in the nose, but for you special case due to the suspicion, I would not want to do it yet, let it heal a bit more before I do anything.
Doctor says : Normally I do not give my patient my mobile number, but for you due to special case, I'll give you my mobile number and please do call me if there's anything.
I asked : Anything meaning fever and pain is it?
Doctor replied : Yes, anything, anything wrong, please call me and come back straight!
I was like : HUH ?????? WHAT????
I thought I'm fine already after so many days of observation. Why he still sound as though something is going to be wrong with me???
I was a bit disappointed that he didn't clean up my nose for me as now I STILL have to breathe through my mouth!
Anyway, he put the camera in and check and he says it's improving... but YET, he JUST need to scared me with all those nonsense.

That's it for now.
Still breathing through my mouth, still have to sleep on two big pillows so that not so lie-down-flat, still cannot move much especially the head, still cannot do anything heavy, still resting at home doing nothing!

Thanks all my friends and family for your prayers and concern.

No comments: