Recognition should be something that you ask for it or others give it to you willingly??? I have been thinking of this, what do you think?
As for myself, I always feel that when we are doing something or we are holding a position, we must do it for ourselves and with the purpose of learning something new or experiencing something new, we should have the purpose to get others recognition or to do it just for the sake of having recognised by others. What's the point of getting people recognition while you are not learning anything? Recognition will just last for a few seconds but the things that we learn and the experience that we get will stay in us for the rest of our life and it may also change us to become a better self. Why should we take recognition so seriously?
Recognition is just a way to show appreciation to others when we feel that they did something or achieved something. Recognition is for us to SHOW OTHERS we appreciate what they did, it's not something for us to STRIVE FOR. It should be something that we GIVE to others but not something that we are looking to RECEIVE from others.
In my opinion, to join Toastmasters club and to hold a position in the Committee team, it's a process for me to learn how to handle meetings, how to deal with people and so on... It's a way for me to learn and to improve myself. I do it just because I know by doing more things, I'll learn more. By facing more challenges, I'll grow more. I want to be involved in all things that I can, so that I'll get to learn as much as I can. It doesn't matter whether others will appreciate what I do or recognise what I do. If they did, it will be a bonus for me and an encouragement for me to do it even better. It's just an extra bonus for me. If they don't, I still didn't lose out anything, as the thing that I learn, the experience that I gain and the time that I spent will always be in my memory and I'll become a better self.
For example, the recent Hip Hop dancing that we had. I wanted to get involved just because I love dancing and I'll get to learn a new dance. I know I'll get to enjoy myself, have fun and also to bring us-the dancers closer in our relationship too... It's a fun way to get to know each other better. Even though I'm still a student and I need to bear the cost form my own allowance, I'm still willing to drive 44km every practise as I know I enjoyed myself and everyone is happy. It doesn't matter whether others will appreciate it or not or give me any recognition. The most important thing is I know I learn something, I know I enjoyed myself and have fun and I know I did my best.
In conclusion, I still think that recognition is not something for us to hope for as a reward of what we did. I always believe that if you want to do something for others, do it whole heartly and willing and don't hope for reward. If you are doing something for others just for the sake of the reward or recognition by others, might as well don't do it as it's not from your heart and you are not doing it just because you want to do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dear Amy,
How are you? TOday I just happened to pop into your blog while checking email and your friendster blog told me you've moved your blog to new site.friendster keep spamming my email account telling me about blogs that people've written.
Between, how's things so far?
Just a word of encouragement, hope you bear with my a lil bit longer comment.
Recognition is something that all of us strive for all the while. We set our standard based on world's value. We value so much how others will look into us whenever we hold a position, esp you're in a committee of toastmaster. Up to a certain level, people EXPECT performance
from you and this always wears us down if we're not prepared mentally. Sometimes, we'll lose out our vision (for ur case, experience more while handling different matters) to wanting too much acceptance from the peers or colleagues. That sloowly will become our main drive for doing things.
As a Christian, I believe that we've learnt to set our standard not based on the world, but set in the sight of God. Afterall, He's the one that judge us not the man, the homo sapiens. Human beings are not made to judge each other, we're not as perfect as Him, so we should not judge. And who gives us right to judge a person's piece of work? If this is his/her best in doing the job, if he/s given his best, what can we ask for more? And people always don't see the point of "effort" but focusing too much on result.
When we do things according to His will. His grace is sufficient and His strength will sustain us.
God bless you.
Take care
Hey amy..!
That sure is some good speech on recognition. Well said and i completely agree with you that when someone does something the primary purpose of that should be for a noble cause or self enhancement rather than self recognition. Regonition is something that does not stay very long, may be it just motivates you for that very moment but the knowledge and experience gained stays for ever. As the saying goes "Give The Most But Expect The Least". On the contrary it is also said that "There Are Two things People Want More Than Sex And Money......Recognition and Praise". Depends on person to person as to which category he belongs. I think i am going to go with the former (Give The Most But Expect The Least)..!!
-Aftab
I strongly agree with what huifen said. Human create to be self-center, that why human always want recognition. After all recognition as important as what i think it is. Some people want recognition because they want people to acknowledge their piece of work. After you get the acknowledgement or the recognition, what happen?? People will remember it for a while then.... they will ask "What the recognition for already??"
We should always be Christ-center. If we put Him first, eventually we will find that recognition is not that important as the knowledge He want us to learn...
Post a Comment