Sunday, May 06, 2007

Working in Petaling Jaya

Hmm... It has been quite some time that I didn't blog. Many times I wish I could write something but I still don’t have a laptop yet. (still can't afford to buy one :-( )

Time flies. I have been working for almost a month in Petaling Jaya. I'm now with One World Hotel. A new 5 star hotel which will only start operation in July (provided everything goes smoothly). I'm lucky to be in the pre-opening team as they only take in experience candidates. I'm the only fresh graduate in the whole finance department (all 25 of us).

I really get to learn a lot in the pre-opening team. For this whole April, there are much training, trainings on all the systems and also the policy and procedures. Basically, everything about the whole hotel operation, from a guest walks in until they pay. I get to see the whole big picture of the hotel. It's really interesting.

I have always wanted to work in a hotel. Many people ask me why, I guess it's because my parents used to bring me to hotel stay whenever they can. At least 2 times a year. It makes me curious about the hotel operation and wanted to know more. Now, after joining the hotel, I realize more things. The associates (we called ourselves associates instead of staff or employee) are very friendly. We are taught to greet everyone with a smile every time we see one another. So it's different from company whereby when you walk in nobody realize you or even smile to you. I get to start my day with many people greet me Good Morning with a friendly smile. The feeling is just simply great!

My job is to audit income, I'm dealing more with the revenues. I'll have to report daily on the revenues of all the outlets and making sure that the outlets do their accounts properly. So now since the hotel hasn't start operation, we have no income yet. I'll have to help others teammates on their jobs, which means I get to learn other things other than my own job scope. It's really great to be in the pre-opening team.

Now the hotel building is not 100% complete yet, so we still can't move into the hotel office. We are now using the KPMG Tower right beside the hotel for our temporary office. We don't have our own workstation yet so we are just using a corner of the building with some partition up. So, we get to be closer with one another. We chat a lot and really get to know each another. We joke a lot and laugh a lot. We listen to music and even dance together. It's fun. I just don't feel that I'm actually at work. I actually wake up feeling great and looking forward to work. (Hopefully this will continue even until the hotel start operation =p)

That's it that I can say about my work for now. Treasuring all the happy moments and getting to know my teammates more and more each other. :-)

No comments: